This workshop will look in detail at the structure of legislation and what to look out for when reading it. The workshop will also explore how and when to influence legislation. It will be finished by a lobbyist’s view of influencing legislation.
Who will benefit from attending?
Anyone who needs to read and interpret legislation. In particular—
• Policy professionals without legal background who need to understand and engage with legislation.
• Lawyers whose legislative interpretation and application skills require refreshing.
• Understand how legislation is structured and why
• Know how to interpret the different sections within legislation
• Understand which parts of legislation constitute law
• Be able to navigate around a piece of primary, devolved, subordinate or quasi legislation with understanding of what each provision is doing
• Know where to look for help in explanatory materials in understanding legislation
• Be able to discuss complexities of legislation with expert advisers and to understand the issues raised
• Understand the key opportunities for influencing legislation and how to engage with the process effectively.
Providing a thorough understanding of the legislative process; increasing staff ability to work effectively within that process; and supporting colleagues and other relevant parties more successfully.