This event gives participants the foundations for making and implementing better policy. We introduce a simple cycle as a basis for understanding the questions which typically need to be addressed as policy develops, the types of tools, thinking and ways of working that can help, and the broad actions which enable ideas to evolve into policies that have real impact. Exercises and discussion will help participants decide how to apply and adapt the day’s learning to their own circumstances.
Who will benefit from attending?
People who are approaching policy work for the first time, or those who would like to add structure and new ideas to enrich their hands-on policy experience.
- Understand what policy is and where it comes from, and feel confident navigating the cyclical and often complex policy process guided by a simple framework
- Establish greater clarity at each stage of the policy process by knowing what questions to address and how, where and with whom they can find the answers
- Become clearer about their own role in the process and how to work with others internally and beyond their organisations to reach better policy outcomes
- Be introduced to some of the key tools and strategies frequently used in policy work, such as behaviour change and option appraisal
- Have the opportunity to learn from the experiences of others on the event as well as exploring real life examples and case studies
Organisations will increase their ability to create and deliver successful policies. Staff attending this event will understand the principles of policymaking and how these can be adapted to their own circumstances, and will learn a range of flexible tools and models to support their future policy work.